Athlete Management/Coaching: Athletic Trainer/Physical Therapy/Doctor
Sport Scientist - United States Soccer Federation (Carson, CA)
Job Title: National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) Sport Scientist
Location: Carson, CA; may be required to relocate to Chicago, IL
U.S. Soccer Overview
We are U.S. Soccer and we are the future of sport in the United States. Our mission is to make soccer the preeminent sport in the United States. We embrace diversity, technology and global connections to drive the growth of our sport and serve our athletes and fans. We are seeking motivated, passionate, skillful people, who can think, create and work on a team.
U.S. Soccer is a growing company that looks for team members to grow with it. U.S. Soccer offers a comprehensive compensation package, casual work environment, an inclusive culture and an atmosphere for professional development.
Working with the HPD, contribute to the design and delivery of world class performance support to all players in the NWSL, as well as WNT and U23 players.
High Performance Department (HPD) Overview
- Maximize performance across all sport development programs
- Provide multi-disciplinary expertise.
- Integrate high performance into everyday environment.
- Develop innovative and soccer specific research.
- Utilize multi-disciplinary standards.
- Implement systematic and evidence based approaches.
- Make information accessible and practical.
- Develop and manage a network of qualified experts.
- Provide Performance support for the NWSL as requested by the HPD, SSM and WNT high performance staff
- Support and develop performance monitoring systems, data and staff working within the NWSL.
- Provide, maintain and monitor reports, as and when directed, specifically regarding US WNT players training and competing with the NWSL clubs.
- Manage and develop the NWSL physical and wellness database utilizing the latest technology
- Travel and conduct performance testing and educational workshops for the NWSL clubs.
- Assist in the delivery of educational workshops to the NWSL clubs throughout the season, including ongoing webinars and dissemination of relevant research topics.
- Assist in the management and development of sport science staff within the NWSL.
- Ensure the highest standards of data and player information is collected in line with the requirements of the HPD and the USSF
- Develop resources and provide support to the NWSL clubs in relation to ongoing prehab, injury prevention, recovery, nutrition, travel, environment and conditioning strategies
- Travel and provide support to the NWSL clubs during training.
- Travel and provide support to the US U23 WNT during games and training camps.
- To be involved in the review, development and co-ordination of USSF Sport Science research projects, contributing to an evolving World class sport science support program for women’s soccer.
Other duties as assigned or required. May include:
- Contribute to the education of staff and coaches within the federation and those enrolled onto federation specific qualification pathways.
- Help support the department with research within performance and medicine
- Support the development of internal resources required within the High Performance Department
- Travel and provide support to the US WNT
- Support, manager and develop high performance associates
- MSc in Sport Science/Kinesiology/Physiology or related field
- BSc in Sport Science (or equivalent)
- Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) Accreditation
- Minimum of 5 years of practical performance experience within elite sport
- Knowledge and experience of performance requirements for female athletes
- Significant experience working with GPS and other monitoring systems.
- Knowledge and experience of performance requirements for female adult and youth athletes
- Experience working in collaboration with coaches and other support staff
- Effective academic and applied knowledge of contemporary practice in physical performancedevelopment.
- On field performance support experience (S&C, recovery, warm up/cool downs)
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Proficient on computer with software such as: Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Access and Video Editing
- Strong verbal, written, in-person and presentation communication skills
- Excellent organizational, data collection, planning and leadership skills
Working at U.S. Soccer is a unique opportunity. Employees who work at U.S. Soccer have the following attributes:
- Adopt a company centric approach—Serve the Athlete and the Fan
- Embrace and see learning as a lifelong pursuit
- Possess a growth mindset—keeps an open mind and seeks new challenges
- Practice self-assessment and self-reflection
- Open to criticism and does not make excuses
- Possess a tireless work ethic
- Wants to be part of a team that wins
- Has the ability to be firm but fair
- Communicate in a direct, open and honest manner
- Build relationships through genuine interpersonal skills