Athlete Management/Coaching: Team Administration/Operations
Vice President of Athletics - USA Cycling (Colorado Springs, CO)
The Vice President of Athletics will oversee USA Cycling’s elite athletics programs to ensure they attain outstanding international success at the highest level, efficiently utilize resources, meet best practices in athletics administration, and help grow the sport of cycling in America. He or she will report directly to the CEO and oversee a staff of 15+, including a highly successful high performance director who leads USA Cycling’s elite athlete development programs and the management of coaching staff. The Vice President of Athletics will be arriving at time when USA Cycling seeks to substantially revise and enhance its athletics programs, including launching high potential new programs, developing its high performance capabilities, and increasing athlete support. Building on its remarkable success in Rio with 5 medals won, USA Cycling has the ambition to increase its medal count for the Tokyo quad to 7 medals and is looking for a dynamic leader to drive the organization toward this and other goals.
Key areas of responsibility will include making resource allocation decisions, managing the multi-million dollar athletics budget, overseeing athlete selection processes, securing incremental funding through corporate partnerships, working with the USA Cycling Foundation to increase donations, and overseeing the logistics management of USA Cycling’s athletics operations which span the globe. In addition, as a member of the senior leadership team of USA Cycling, the Vice President of Athletics will also be responsible for guiding the direction of USA Cycling more broadly in the execution of its mission to grow the sport of cycling in America.
The Vice President of Athletics will work closely with many areas of USA Cycling’s organization, including: 1) Marketing – to develop and support sponsors and to help leverage the image, rights of use, marks and engaging stories of USA Cycling’s exceptional athletes and programs; 2) Membership – to enhance membership sales and customer retention by engaging members in USA Cycling’s elite athlete development programs; 3) USA Cycling Foundation – to animate engagement with prospective and current donors; 4) Technical Department – to help them administer the regulations pertaining to elite athletes; 5) Legal – to manage and develop athlete rights and access; 6) IT – to assure tools and resources required by the athletics department are provided and utilized, particularly regarding communications and information access.
This is the top athletics position in one of the most successful elite athletics organizations in US Olympic sport. It is a remarkable and highly exciting career opportunity for any sports management executive.
1. Creating a high performance culture where teams are intensely focused on specific, measurable goals and expected to be best in class
2. Leading strategic planning and budgeting processes, including making difficult resources allocation decisions
3. Developing and documenting policies and procedures, including athlete selection and national team access, which balance the interests of all stakeholders, and ensuring adherence through exceptional management and personal influence skills
4. Establishing successful sponsorships and corporate partnerships and managing their execution to ensure all parties’ objectives are met
5. Fund-raising from high net worth individuals and foundations by communicating the mission and vision of the organization, expressing passion, and engaging others in a journey of accomplishment
6. Writing grant proposals and documenting program plans to solicit funding from the USOC and other partners
7. Overseeing budget management, including working with program managers to most effectively utilize available resources to achieve objectives
8. Working collaboratively with other departments at USA Cycling to accomplish shared objectives
9. Demanding high ethical standards from all team members and creating a culture of respect, transparency, and fairness
Other duties as assigned.
This will be a full-time role based at USA Cycling’s national headquarters in Colorado Springs, CO.
The successful candidate ideally comes from a senior role within a performance based athletics organization like an Olympic NGB, professional sports organization, or collegiate athletics department which has achieved outstanding success in the field of play while embodying the highest ideals of sport. Demonstration of the effective use of resources to accomplish superior results is essential. Candidate may be an existing highly successful athletics director, or an up and coming sports management executive that has demonstrated exceptional management and leadership skills and is now ready to lead an athletics department.
Experience in competitive cycling is preferred, but not required.
Essential capabilities and characteristics:
· Degree in sports management, business management, or equivalent
· Ability to effectively develop and lead teams
· Ability to communicate a clear vision of outstanding success and excellence which inspires others
· Unimpeachable ethical standards with a strong commitment to clean sport and the well-being of athletes
· Positive, can-do attitude with ability to be creative in overcoming resource limitations
· Budget management and project management skills and experience
· Exemplary personal work habits and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
This role will oversee a department of 15+ professionals.
The employee may occasionally lift and / or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. The employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and hear; use hands to handle or feel objects; and, stand, walk, climb, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Work is performed both in an office environment, where noise levels are usually moderate, and in a sporting environment where noise levels can be high.
Work is frequently performed around moving mechanical parts and athletes traveling at high speed, which requires close and constant attention to one’s environment.
Frequent air and ground travel will be required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
This is a full-time salary position, with compensation commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including medical, dental, and vision coverage; paid vacation, holidays, and sick leave; and the opportunity to participate in a 403b plan.
Click here to see all of our employment opportunities.
Contact the TeamWorkOnline webmaster / FAQ