Athlete Management/Coaching: Coach - Elite Athlete Coach
Men's Endurance Performance Director - USA Cycling (Colorado Springs, CO)
The Men’s Endurance Performance Director will lead the implementation of a men’s high-performance plan across multiple disciplines. This position will support the international success of the United States’ elite male cyclists by using the best technical, sports science, and specialized methods and equipment available to USA Cycling. The Performance Director will be responsible for ongoing comprehensive assessment and development of individual athletes in a highly collaborative and interactive environment that is focused on maximizing the potential and realized success of each athlete they support.
The Performance Director will possess discipline specific knowledge and be responsible for the development and execution of athlete development plans. Daily duties will include athlete monitoring, data collection and analysis, athlete performance management, and implementing performance projects such as Alphamantis, Winning Algorithms, Solo Shot, or IBM. Daily duties will also include working with national team coaches and performance team partners in the areas of nutrition, sport psychology, S&C, biomechanics, and aerodynamics – with the goal of ensuring the best performance optimization for each athlete.
The Performance Director will work in close collaboration with, but not limited to, the Vice President of Athletics, Vice President of High Performance, National Team coaching staff, the USA Cycling Development Foundation, USA Cycling sponsors, the United States Olympic Committee, and USA Cycling athletes – as well as their personal coaches, trade teams, and other partners.
This is one of the top coaching and leadership positions in one of the most successful cycling programs in the world. It is a remarkable and highly exciting career opportunity for any elite cycling coach.
1. Leading the planning, development, and implementation of high performance plans consistent with USA Cycling’s strategic vision, goals and overarching athlete development philosophy.
2. Developing high performance programs across multiple disciplines by identifying and recruiting the best and brightest high performance partners and developing USA Cycling’s coaches and staff.
3. Creating individual athlete development plans, monitoring athlete progress, and ensuring the fulfilment of the sport science needs for each athlete.
4. Working within all men’s endurance-based road, track, MTB, and cyclocross programs to ensure high standards for athlete support, communication, and teamwork are met.
5. Developing and maintaining a high-performance environment and culture with superior standards and high expectations which results in the achievement of successful outcomes for athletes, coaches, and USA Cycling.
6. Providing comprehensive leadership and/or effective management in the areas of finance/budgets, sponsorship, fundraising, HR, contracts, policy development, and staff development.
7. Demanding high ethical standards from all team members and creating a culture of respect, transparency, and fairness
8. Fostering a supportive and positive environment which enables athletes and staff to perform at their best.
Other duties as assigned.
This will be a full-time role which for the right candidate could be executed from anywhere in the United States.
· Level 1 USA Cycling Coaching accreditation or equivalent
· Bachelor’s degree in sport science (not essential)
· Possession of an outstanding body of professional experience and training
· Proven success as an endurance cycling coach at the world-class level
· Demonstrable, high-level knowledge of scientifically based cycling coaching and training techniques
· Ability to effectively develop and lead teams
· Ability to communicate a clear vision of outstanding international success which inspires others
· Unimpeachable ethical standards with a strong commitment to clean sport and the well-being of athletes
· Positive, can-do attitude with ability to be creative in overcoming resource limitations
The successful candidate will supervise direct reports, indirect reports, and 15-20 athletes.
The employee may occasionally lift and / or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. The employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and hear; use hands to handle or feel objects; and, stand, walk, climb, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Work is performed both in an office environment, where noise levels are usually moderate, and in a sporting environment where noise levels can be high.
Work is frequently performed around moving mechanical parts and athletes traveling at high speed, which requires close and constant attention to one’s environment.
Frequent air and ground travel will be required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
This is a full-time salary position, with compensation commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including medical, dental, and vision coverage; paid vacation, holidays, and sick leave; and the opportunity to participate in a 403b plan.
Click here to see all of our employment opportunities.
Contact the TeamWorkOnline webmaster / FAQ