Finance: Controller/Director of Finance
Director of Finance - US Lacrosse (Baltimore, MD)
US Lacrosse, the national governing body of lacrosse, announces an opening for a Director of Finance in Baltimore, Maryland. If you’re looking for a dynamic atmosphere surrounded by supportive, fun and passionate co-workers, then US Lacrosse is the place to be.
About US Lacrosse
US Lacrosse, a 501(c) (3) nonprofit association is the national governing body of lacrosse. The organization has over 410,000 individual members within 64 regional chapters throughout the country and employs a national staff of more than 80 at its Baltimore headquarters. US Lacrosse provides a leadership role in virtually every aspect of the sport throughout the United States, and offers numerous programs and services to its national membership and more than one million lacrosse enthusiasts throughout the country.
The Director of Finance provides both leadership and oversight for the Accounting and Finance functions. This position provides direction in the ongoing development, implementation and maintenance of the organization’s financial controls and processes to safeguard the organization’s assets.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
• Implement and enhance processes to assist the department in becoming more efficient and effective
• Provide decision-making reports, analysis and objective counsel to management
• Develop key performance indicators and analyze trends comparing against industry benchmarks, identifying and communicating key business risks and opportunities
• Plan and coordinate the fiscal year end audit with external audit firm and staff
• Lead the annual planning/budgeting process; analyzing and rolling up the consolidated results
• Support the business plan process and ensure tie in with the strategic and financial plans
• Meet with Department Directors on an ongoing basis to discuss departmental expense variances that may result in the recognition of permanent budget variances and assist in problem solving and/or providing additional information as to their departmental budgeted vs. actual expenses
• Support and collaborate with the VPFA, who is the US Lacrosse Finance Committee liaison
• Stay current with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations as they relate to the accounting and finance functions
• Play a prominent role in managing relationships with banks (forecasting and managing cash flow), and investment advisors
• Participates in the selection, management and performance evaluation of direct reports
• Occasional night/weekend work required to meet deadlines, attend Committee and Board meetings, and to assist at US Lacrosse events.
• Special projects and other duties as assigned
Required Skills, Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree required, an advanced degree/MBA a plus
• A CPA is preferred but not required
• Minimum 7 years’ experience in the accounting field with experience as a controller or in a similar capacity
• Strong knowledge of GAAP and analytical skills
• Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other management staff, employees, and the general public.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, experience working within a computerized general ledger system and other database applications
• Superior oral and written communication skills
All applicants must include a resume, cover letter, and minimum salary requirements in order to be considered for this position. Relocation cost are not covered.